Lemon & Courgette Cake Topped with Vanilla Protein Icing.
This delicious recipe is so easy to make, packed with zesty lemons and is topped with silky vegan friendly vanilla cream che•se icing. The perfect summery bake to use up those vegetables at the bottom of your fruit and veg drawer.
Five words. Courgette Cake IS SO GOOD. A moist yet fluffy texture, practically one of your 5-a-day and a taste of summer all rolled into one. What could be better you ask? Oh, the fact that it’s dairy free of course.
Made using eggs, coconut oil and canderel instead of caster sugar, it’s light, lower in sugar and slightly healthier than one you might pick up from the supermarket. As with all my bakes, I want you to feel 100% guilt free whilst enjoying them and this one is no different.
So, how do you make courgette cake I hear you ask? Well, it really couldn’t be easier. One large bowl, 9 ingredients, grated courgette and 30 minutes! One top tip I must stress from the start is that once you’ve grated your courgettes, make sure you squeeze out as much moisture as possible. I left mine to dry out in kitchen roll but you could also use a muslin cloth or thin tea towel.
Remaining dEATs below. Ready, set BAKE!
Makes 8 slices.
For the Cake –
- 160g Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 70g Sweetener/ Canderel
- 3 Eggs
- 150g Grated Courgettes
- 2 Lemons
- 175g Self raising flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2tsp Cinnamon
For The Icing –
- 150g Nush Almond Cream Che•se
- 15g Free Soul Vanilla Protein
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
For The Topping –
- Crushed Pistachios (Optional)
- Lemon Slices (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Line a loaf or cake tin with baking paper and spray with frylight.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, oil and eggs until well beaten.
- Stir in the grated courgettes (after you’ve squeezed out the liquid – see recipe tips), self-raising flour, zest and juice of 1 lemon, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Mix until combined adding a splash of milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour into the lined loaf tin, bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and remove from the tin.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream che•se frosting.
- Gently combine the almond cream che•se with protein powder, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Place into the fridge to allow it to thicken.
- Smooth the over over the top of the cake, sprinkle with crushed pistachios and lemon slices.
The cake tastes best served with a cup of tea and a bit of sunshine!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my housemate and I did. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it! Be sure to tag me on Instagram – I LOVE to see your re-creations.