Red Velvet Protein Cupcakes.
Red Velvet Cupcakes are my favourite cupcakes. And one of my all time favourite memories is eating red velvet cupcakes for breakfast in my first car, the morning of my 21st Birthday. Ever since then, if I opt for a cupcake in a cafe or patisserie, you can bet it’ll be red velvet!
So, I thought, why not re-create my own and little did I know, it worked! Super moist, ultra decadent and gorgeously vibrant. I adapted my Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffin recipe and it was perfect!
The texture is crumbly but not dry, moist but not dense. The greek yoghurt keeps it light, airy and a little healthier. Not necessary of course because no food is good or bad, but we all know I love to re-create some of my favourite sweet treats.
After making these and doing a little bit of research, I discovered that you can make these cupcakes using roasted beetroot puree instead of red food colouring! So when I next make these, I’ll absolutely be giving that a try! Stay tuned for the updates!!
But in the meantime, here are the dEATs for this recipe!
Makes 8 cupcakes.
For The Cupcakes –
- 20g Free Soul Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder
- 200g Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 10g Cacao Powder
- 1-2tsp Red Food Colouring
- 100g Butter
- 4tbsp Canderel Sweetener
- 2 Eggs
- 100g Natural Yoghurt
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40-60ml Alpro Oat Milk
For The Glaze –
- Free Soul Vanilla Protein Powder
- Water or Milk
- Pink Sprinkles or Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Grated Cadbury Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees, line and spray a cupcake tray.
- Combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, cacao powder and red food colouring.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sweetener until smooth.
- Add the eggs, yoghurt and vanilla extract – mix until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake lined cases filling half way.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until the knife comes out clean.
- While cupcakes cool, mix the protein powder with water to make a glaze.
- Drizzle the cupcakes with the glaze and sprinkle the toppings.
As always, the code ‘FSAMYCOUSINS‘ will save you 15% at Free Soul! And as I hope you all know by now, I would never ever promote a product that I don’t use. I’ve used Free Soul for 2 years + and have never looked back!!
Happy Baking and don’t forget to tag me in your re-creations!